Drug Possession — Marijuana


What Are The Penalties For Marijuana Possession?

The penalties for drugs like marijuana (pot, weed, ganja, dope, Mary Jane, skunk, bud, etc.) vary depending on the amount of marijuana a person was arrested with (aka the weight). Keep in mind these are the maximum sentencing guidelines. A good attorney will help you negotiate a reduction of these penalties and fines:

  • 2 ounces or less is a class B misdemeanor with a penalty of not more than 180 days in a county jail and/or a fine of not more than $2,000.
  • More than 2 ounces, but less than 4 ounces is a class A misdemeanor with a penalty of not more than one year in a county jail and/or a fine of not more than $4,000.
  • More than 4 ounces, but less than 5 pounds is a state jail felony with a punishment of 180 days to two years in a state jail and/or a fine of not more than $10,000.

Contact the law firm of Matthew Pillado PLLC now for a fast consultation at 800-672-3911.

What If This Is My First Time And I Just Had A Small Amount?

If you are arrested with less than 2 ounces and have never been in trouble with drugs in the past, some counties allow for drug treatment programs, drug treatment classes or community service. Every case is different but there are usually several different options for first-time drug offenders.

The point is to keep you off drugs and try to keep the drug conviction off your permanent record. Having a drug conviction on your record can severely inhibit your ability to get a job and clear a background check.

What Should I Do If I Got Arrested For Drugs?

First thing is to know that you have a right to an attorney. This is important because an attorney will help you navigate through the legal system. Criminal courts can be time-consuming, intimidating and confusing, so you need someone to help you. We offer free case evaluations for any marijuana crime; use the contact form on our website and we will respond within one business day.

Contact Matthew Pillado PLLC

With offices in Hurst, Irving and Dallas, we represent individuals throughout Tarrant County and the surrounding area.